Sunday, October 15, 2006

Z14 Shanghai to Beijing


Well, I made it here in piece! the train was fabulous. They even serve food on board. My cabin was empty save for an elderly Chinese gentleman who spoke no english. There is a pic of my sleeper. I do not know how to rotate as this version of IE is in Korean.
First impressions of Beijing, apart from the overwhelming number of people up at 7am, it seems a little more polluted and crowded than Shanghai. I havent managed to get my bearings, as there is no body of water nearby... this always helps (the whole island living thing).
I managed to book my train ticket to Xian this morning at the locals ticket hall... there is a foreigners version of this, but I did not manage to find it. I received wonderful service and was most pleased with my efforts. So Tuesday I head off to see the Terracotta warriors.
My hostel, the Far East, is rather nice.... now that I swapped rooms, that is. They had put me in a pretty dodgy and grotty part of the hostel, where the smell of urine was so strong I almost lost last night's dinner. Alas, I thought it be best to change. I assumed it would cost more as I requested a move to newer wing. They weren't happy and started talking about me. It's amazing how the tone of negativity remains the same in any language!!!
I have booked my ten km great wall walk for tomorrow, had a brilliant breakfast, done my laundry ... all before 10am! gotta love my own efficiency :)
Today The forbidden city, Mao and some old market which I cant remember the name of.
I posted some photos on my yahoo site, here. Please note the Australia burger currently featuring at McD's over here.
And to all banana lovers out there, I have been having at least one each day. I am paying one yuan for these, and know that I am getting ripped off, but considering this equates to approx 7c, I am pretty happy about the situation.

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pascie!!

You have already done so much in such a short space of time and have experienced true Chinese culture, including the pick pockets (can't believe how that happened to you), dog kebabs, urine-smelling rooms..... ok, that's focusing on the bad stuff, but great to see you've also done some of the proper tourst things. Look forward in continuing the journey with you via the Internet :-)

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey P!
You are doing such a good job on the blogging front - well done! It's great to hear you are having a good time and some really interesting experiences!
Wishing you some more happy travels!
Lots of love B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home