Saturday, October 14, 2006

The eyes have it!

I warn, this may be a long post, as I am getting internet access for half my normal price!!!
I have noticed over the last few days that people have been staring firstly at my eyes, then they make their way down to my feet. Now, in their world both are deemed huge. The eyes are appreciated, the feet are scorned at. I have had my photo taken a few times, sometimes without my knowledge. I find the whole thing rather funny!
I have to say after four days here, I am getting a tad sick of Shanghai. The noise, pollution and general chaos is wearing thin. I have a feeling that Beijing will probably be worse, but at least I will have more to explore.
This morning I headed to the silk markets. If only I could sew!!! It's such a shame, the fabric is exquisite and so cheap ('only 35 yuan for you, my friend!'). I did not manage to get anything made for me, primarily because time is short and I think I will be back here sometime in the future, anyway. I think I will be taking my mum with me, she would be blown away by all the shopping in this place!!! (P1, I now understand Peter's fascination with this place!)
On the way back from the Silk markets, I stopped off at the place where the 1st communist party meeting ever took place. It was interesting to see the development of the party over the years. How Mao still reigns supreme!! Most municpal employees, public transport workers and just about any other public servant still don the blue Maoist uniform of yesteryear.
Yesterday I was succesfully pickpocketed (is there such a term?) and came out 80 yuan (~A$13) down from the experience. I am most thankful that I did not have any more money in my pocket, but also that I did not have my wallet in there.
This put a dampener on my morning, but things improved after I met a whole bunch of miltary from the Congo who were very very pleased to find a French speaking person. So we walked the streets of Shanghai, swapping stories about our respective homelands. Speaking of which, over the last few days I have spoken more French and Japanese than I ever thought possible. So much so that Japanese was the only way I managed to communicate with one my dorm buddies who was a Mandarin/ Japanese translator. There are loads of French tourists around Shanghers, many Aussies and as usual a throng of Israelis.
Last night I had a sumptuous Italian meal complete with wine at a local restaurant. I went with two Aussie gals who warned me that this was the last place I'd see salads and good European food for a while. So I heeded their advice and joined them for dinner. One of the girls, Aisia, is working in Beijing on an Australian Youth Ambassador grant. We had a very long chat about life in China. They had both tried to get over to Tibet and decided to stay within China and visit the Tibetan grasslands. This confirmed my earlier decision to forgo Tibet in favour of the Yunnan province. Yes, I have changed my non-existent plans to include the Yunnan province, in particular Kuming and Dali. The main reason being that there are more Tibetans outside Tibet than within. I had come here with the idea of getting to know the Tibetan culture a bit more, so I am heading to Dali where the Bai people reside. It has, for the most part, resisted Chinese influence and is a whole lot less touristy. The other advantage is that it does not require any acclimatisation as in Tibet (which can take up to 4-5 days!!!). I have also found a mountain retreat where I can stay. They offer tai chi and mountain hikes. I think it will make for a nice break from the chaos that is the rest of China.
Off to Beijing tonight on the o'night train...
btw, I have written postcards... now to find the stamps for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home