Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mornin'

My body clock is still in Sydney time, meaning I got up at 3am and I pretty much didn't sleep after that..... so if this post makes little sense, you know why. I am pleased, though, that this version of IE is completely in English, which will hopefully result in only having to write this up once (I had a bit of trouble yesterday!!)
So Shanghai.... apart from being a huge city and major port, the place is a conglomerate of French colonial architecture and contrasting, mundane skyscrapers. There is a thick haze hanging over the city and the humidity factor is huge. I have not seen much besides the Bund area, so today will be my first day out. On the agenda is the Shanghai museum and a visit to a legendary veg restaurant.
I passed by a few food stalls this morning, but have not been game enough to try the food. It doesnt help that I can't read the menu, either (maybe a few mandarin lessons wouldnt go astray). Everything smelled great though, so maybe tomorrow I will go down for a true Shanghanese Brekky.

3 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger allrite said...

Maybe you should ask for the "Second Menu" (Mmm, tasty deep fried silkworms)!

You going to visit Suzhou and the water towns (Tongli, Wuzhen, Zhouzhuang)? Would appreciate any info on reaching them independently.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger allrite said...

Oh, I also advise a picnic lunch while in China, especially if you meet any old friends. *duck*

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger P2 said...

they have deluxe trains to the 'water towns'. I will pick up a timetable and price list if they exists :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home