Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I see Assisi!



Like every good catholic, I must spend some time in Italy hanging out in churches... so it was with this in mind that we sauntered off to Assisi to hang with San Francesco (or Francis to his mates). St Francis is the patron saint of the Italians, although, his competition, Padre Pio is catching up rather rapidly. I am not sure if the Italians are proud of him because he renounced his inheritance or because he was able to build such a powerful order of monks. Assisi is a beautiful, peaceful town full of nuns and tourists. Just a note for those religiously inclined, there are many many nuns here and it appears that they go off on these tours (aka junkets) visiting all these famed sites in a regular basis. I spoke to a Phillipino nun and she informed me that these visits are nice, they get to hang with other like minded individuals and see the world. She has been to 14 countries since joining the sisterhood 20 years ago....mmmm, food for thought. Anyway, back to Assisi... it is a nice, peaceful town, surrounded by an amazing landscape. I think I will let the photos do the talking... I am loosing my grasp of English at a rapid rate!
That's another thing, between the English, French and poor Italian I am speaking, my words are becoming jumbled and I no longer know what language I am thinking in. I am sure I had a dream in Italian the other night...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home